By Marc Sorenson, EdD Sunlight Institute…
Dr. Richard Weller, a dermatologist and champion of sun exposure, has just published a review stating that sun exposure has cardiovascular benefits independent of vitamin D. This is good news for those who fear having a heart attack or stroke. Cardiovascular disease, of course, is our number-one killer. Dr. Weller make several points in his review, as follows:
- Individuals with high serum vitamin D levels are at reduced risk of hypertension (chronic high blood pressure), cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome (a cluster of factors including abdominal obesity, high triglyceride levels, low HDL levels, high blood sugar levels and insulin resistance) that are linked to increased risk of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
- However, multiple research reports show that oral vitamin D supplementation has no effect on those problems.
- But, epidemiological studies data show a correlation between increased sun exposure and reduced hypertension and death from cardiovascular disease.
- Scandinavian studies show a dose dependent fall in mortality (death) with sun-seeking behavior. In other words, the higher the sun exposure, the lower the risk of death from all causes. In fact, those with the highest sun exposure had half the risk of death as those with the lowest exposure
- The reduced risk of death among sun seekers is probably due to the nitric-oxide increasing effects of sun exposure.
- The higher the latitude in the Northern Hemisphere, the greater is the blood pressure. Populations at higher latitudes have far less sun exposure that those at low latitudes.
- In one study of risk factors for atheroma (plugging of the arteries), latitude was found to be the strongest predictor.
This is another potent argument for getting your share of the sun; it could save your life.
 Richard B. Weller. Sunlight Has Cardiovascular Benefits Independently of Vitamin D Blood Purif 2016;41:130–134.
[…] http://sunlightinstitute.org/ […]
[…] Sunlight Institute January 18, 2016 […]
[…] 39 Sunlight Institute January 18, 2016 […]